As the weather drops, the temperature of food increases! Welcome soup, chili and all things cozy season! Chili is a great option for so many reasons, especially this recipe from I Heart Nap Time! It’s low maintenance – one pot only! It’s full of nutrition – packed with protein and veggies! It’s easily customizable – substitute with your protein and vegetables of choice. And, it’s great for meal prep – make a huge pot and freeze! Check out the recipe below and add to your list of fall and winter meals!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2-3 Tablespoons chili powder (more to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-2 cups chicken broth (depending on how thick you like your chili)
- 30 ounces petite diced tomatoes (two 15 oz cans)
- 15 ounce can dark red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15 ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15 ounce can white chili beans (drained and rinsed)
1 1/2 cups corn (canned or frozen, optional)
1) Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-heat. Stir in the onion, peppers and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the onions become translucent. Add in the ground turkey and cook until lightly browned. Drain if needed. Stir in seasonings.
2) Next add in the chicken broth, tomatoes and beans. Add corn if desired. Bring chili to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes. The longer the better. Taste and add more salt and seasonings if desired.
3) Ladle into bowls and top with your favorite toppings.